A $33 million esports tournament is now underway, and the prize pool could keep growing. Here’s everything you need to know about ‘The International’
- The International is one of the biggest annual events in esports, and this year, the event is currently offering a crowd-funded prize pool of $33,039,566
- The event is a championship tournament for “Dota 2,” a popular free-to-play game that’s been around for more than a decade.
- Eighteen teams from around the world have qualified for the tournament, which starts in Shanghai, China, on August 15.
- The winning team will take home more than $15 million, turning the champions into instant millionaires.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
One of the biggest events in esports kicked off from Shanghai on Wednesday night, pitting